Author Topic: AT Gold vs. T2 vs. G2/GBP - for detecting tiny iron objects  (Read 7886 times)

Digger

Re: AT Gold vs. T2 vs. G2/GBP - for detecting tiny iron objects
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 01:54 pm »
Why not try a pulse induction machine I use one for the beach and it loves small things like fishing hooks and wire and hair pins :)

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 02:02 pm »
Klaus

Only just saw this thread, we get the same request very often, get in touch with Goering Kerr Scotland, Lock Industries or Eriez Magnetics for textile needle detectors, the type of detector you need is quite specific, most 'normal' detectors will pick up some but not all of the textile needles due to different types of steel being used within the industry, stainless needles are impossible to detect as are hypodermic.

Hope this saves you some time & money.

klaus

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 02:04 pm »
Why not try a pulse induction machine I use one for the beach and it loves small things like fishing hooks and wire and hair pins :)

Most good PI machines are expensive, and fairly speaking, and so far, I have no received any signals, how well it could actually do with a needle.

klaus

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 02:19 pm »
Klaus

Only just saw this thread, we get the same request very often, get in touch with Goering Kerr Scotland, Lock Industries or Eriez Magnetics for textile needle detectors, the type of detector you need is quite specific, most 'normal' detectors will pick up some but not all of the textile needles due to different types of steel being used within the industry, stainless needles are impossible to detect as are hypodermic.

Hope this saves you some time & money.

Nigel, thank you. I didn't consider an industrial metal detector because of its price, size and lack of versatility. As to small, hand detectors such as falcon md20, and ProGrade, I saw some presentation, read specifications, and they did not seem very encouraging (noisy, short distance). They did not seem to perform any better than would a regular metal detector do, and a regular detector could be of some other use to me.
But I admit, I have not contacted the manufacturers for advice - I just relied on the information I could find myself. I will write them an email, and see. Maybe they could fine me something reliable, but not extremely expensive. Still, I'd rather buy a regular metal detector.
And now I see, I own everyone an explanation. Sewing is more a hobby, than a regular job to me. I do it a home, several products a months. And I always try to be on the safe side. That is why I need a MD, but also why, industrial solutions seem not for me.

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 02:37 pm »
I understand your situation Klaus, no problem, the industrial units were all PI type technology but not the same as our hobby PI's, there used to be a detector from Protovale (another manufacturer I'd forgotten about), they had a hand held unit called a Textec, Google them ?

klaus

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 08:57 pm »
I understand your situation Klaus, no problem, the industrial units were all PI type technology but not the same as our hobby PI's, there used to be a detector from Protovale (another manufacturer I'd forgotten about), they had a hand held unit called a Textec, Google them ?

I tried to google the unit, but no luck. I found the company, and checked. The closest to what I could use is a device dedicated to checking wood for nails. But the specifications they gave were not better that any regular detector would do.

klaus

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 02:53 pm »
So guys, I just learned, that G2 does not have true all metal mode (to my shock). I am actually confused, because, it is not a easy information to find (whether a device has or does not have this mode). I don't know, what is better - to buy a device with lower frequency (like 13 kHz) but true all metal mode or a device without true all meta mode, but higher frequency (like 19 kHz). I am asking, because both of these properties (high frequency and true all metal) are supposed to make a detector more sensitive toward small targets. And besides AT Gold (which does not suit me, because the test results people send me are not good), it is not easy to find a device, that has two of these properties.

impos1

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 03:21 pm »
If you tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve I can try it with my racer gold. You will have to let me know what real world tests you are trying to achieve.
XP Deus
Makro Racer
Whites v3i
Whites MX5

klaus

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 03:35 pm »
If you tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve I can try it with my racer gold. You will have to let me know what real world tests you are trying to achieve.
Here is exactly, what I need to have checked:
- Air test, in which you measure the distance from which your detector detects a sewing needle in best sensitivity you can get (i.e. all metal mode).
- The needle must be no more than 1.3 inches long, and narrow in diameter — just a regular in shape, small sewing needle. If you don't have a needle, use a sewing pin instead.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 07:08 pm »
Just tried my kids bounty. 2" on the needle.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

impos1

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 10:54 pm »
I have a 56kh makro gold racer and using a needle with thread I am getting just over six inches on the standard 10  X 5. 5  inch coil.

Check it out http://www.makrodetector.com/gold-racer-metal-detector.html
XP Deus
Makro Racer
Whites v3i
Whites MX5

wiedergaenger

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 01:22 am »
i would suggest the whites gold master (GMT)

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/gmt

48khz machine, will detect smallest bits of metal ....

rumor says that there also clones available somewhere ....