Author Topic: AT Gold vs. T2 vs. G2/GBP - for detecting tiny iron objects  (Read 7896 times)

klaus

AT Gold vs. T2 vs. G2/GBP - for detecting tiny iron objects
« on: February 14, 2016, 04:45 pm »
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and of course - need some advice.
My request may seem a bit strange, since most of you search for other much more valuable things than sewing needles .

I need to buy a metal detector for my work/hobby as a tailor. Its main purpose is to detect sewing needles or pins in the things I make. I do not want it to be a large standing machine (as are used in big fabrics), but rather a regular detector. For the last weeks I have read a lot, called some sellers, and I know that pinpointers and hand detectors in general are not sensitive enough.

So finally I decided to buy one of the 3:
- Garrett AT Gold
- Teknetics T2
- Teknetics G2 (a clone of Fisher Gold Bug Pro)

Please, help me making this final decision. Which one would be most sensitive - for detecting small sewing needles from a distance of at least 3.5 inches?

I have called sellers, but they just won't open the boxes and check it for me. So please, based on your experience, and knowledge - can you help me? If any of you would like to help me even more - you could check, what is a distance from which your detector sees a small (about 1.3 inches) needle or a pin.

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
Re: AT Gold vs. T2 vs. G2/GBP - for detecting tiny iron objects
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 04:58 pm »
My machines are probably a little expensive for finding needles, have you tried giving Regton a call to see if they can help?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

klaus

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 05:10 pm »
My machines are probably a little expensive for finding needles, have you tried giving Regton a call to see if they can help?

Yes, these are pretty good devices, I realize that. But I thought, they could serve me also as normal metal detectors for treasure hunting. But my big concern is that they have to be able to find a needle.
I have not called Regton, I rather called smaller shops with a request, that they did the needle-test for me. But they could not help me, because they had the detectors packed. For me the most valuable would be opinions from owners - I imagine many of you find trash, tiny objects. And that information would be of use to me.

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 05:38 pm »
Best bet would be a detector with a small coil in all metal mode using pinpoint to scan the garments, it means you have to buy a smaller coil but could also use the detector for searching.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

tonto

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 05:45 pm »
Or a carrot

Nick

klaus

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:54 pm »
Or a carrot

Nick

As I wrote, pinpointers and hand detectors are not sensitive enough. I had it checked. It was easy, since they are widely used. Not easy to check bigger devices, that is why I am troubling you guys.

Best bet would be a detector with a small coil in all metal mode using pinpoint to scan the garments, it means you have to buy a smaller coil but could also use the detector for searching.

Thank you. I suppose it directs me toward AT Gold, that has smaller coil with it. T2 and G2 come only with 11'' coils, and if I wanted a smaller one, I would have to buy it extra.

symon1236

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 06:51 pm »
I have a fs2 and I tryed with a small opened up staple one inch long not got a dressmakers pin it picked it up at 3" in descrimation and 4" in all metal that's using the stock small coil if that any good

impos1

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 07:19 pm »
I have a 56kh makro gold racer and using a needle with thread I am getting just over six inches on the standard 10  X 5. 5  inch coil.
XP Deus
Makro Racer
Whites v3i
Whites MX5

klaus

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 07:22 pm »
I have a fs2 and I tryed with a small opened up staple one inch long not got a dressmakers pin it picked it up at 3" in descrimation and 4" in all metal that's using the stock small coil if that any good

Thank you so much. That is a creative idea to use a staple. And the results are good, I must say. I imagine a needle would be easier (maybe not much, but at least a little) to detect. I went through fs2 specifications. Is this device similar any other detector on market? And what was the coil's size?

klaus

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 07:29 pm »
I have a 56kh makro gold racer and using a needle with thread I am getting just over six inches on the standard 10  X 5. 5  inch coil.

Thank you! That is a very satisfactory result for me. I considered makro racer (and gold bug 2) for its high frequency, and once again I see, I should reconsider my decision. The only thing that was against this choice - was a thought that it is so specialized, that I won't be able to have any fun if I try to do some generalized searching for fun. 

impos1

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 07:39 pm »
The makro gold racer- It's so easy to use. It's mainly a gold detector and finds very small objects as it runs at 56kh. There are three modes . All metal, disc 1 and disc 2. It will find a a gold earring stud at 5 inches. It is really designed to find very small objects Such as a needle etc .
XP Deus
Makro Racer
Whites v3i
Whites MX5

symon1236

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 08:38 pm »
The fs2 is a goldbug clone and I used the 4" coil

klaus

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 10:46 pm »
Also, I have a 2 questions that bother me.
1. Do I need to go for higher frequencies (around 70-90 kHz) to have more sensitivity on small objects? I know, that some specialized in gold hunt units have really high freq (as Gold Bug 2 - 71 kHz), but others have much lower freq (AT Gold - 18 kHz). And both have very good reviews on sensitivity in detecting gold nuggets. Is there a simple correlation: more frequency = more sensitivity on small subjects? I must remember, that I do not only need to detect a needle, but also need to detect it from a certain distance. Is there any advice for me concerning the freq?
2. How it is, that certain units have true all metal mode and some don't (as far as I understand - they just have zero disc mode). So the true all metal mode should give me a raw input, and it should be better for my needs. Still I do not understand, why some units lack this true all metal mode - is this option hard to obtain by a manufacturer? And how do I tell, if a detector has it or not? As far as I can see, only AT Gold has it clearly stated in specification sheet.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 12:14 am »
What about a second hand XP Goldmaxx Power. There's plenty around, you will get the depth and the buzz for your targets, and it will make a great machine to enjoy the hobby as well.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

klaus

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 07:56 am »
What about a second hand XP Goldmaxx Power. There's plenty around, you will get the depth and the buzz for your targets, and it will make a great machine to enjoy the hobby as well.

You think? I would have to have an information on its performance on a needle. I did consider it, but then I read that XP would do better. I did not want to buy XP, because I did not like the fact, that it is wireless, and all the trouble with changing batteries every 2-3 years. And that is why I gave up on XP. But if Goldmaxx did well - I would take it.