Author Topic: Best shovels. Whats good, whats pants, and why?  (Read 3776 times)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
Best shovels. Whats good, whats pants, and why?
« on: February 25, 2016, 08:31 pm »
I have a mini shovel that's great for carrying but not good for the back when digging.  I have a long handled cheapy with a flat digging edge and it's heavy.
I have been told by one person that the Burgen and Ball from Regton is the only shovel I'll ever need, so what do peeps recommend?
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

oscar6972

Re: Best shovels. Whats good, whats pants, and why?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:49 pm »
You've answered your question in my opinion, the burgon and ball transplanting spade is my weapon of choice!

It isn't light but it's bloody strong!

lifeguard

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:56 pm »
- If big shovel,than an adjustable big metal fiskars. I dont know the above mentioned one. They are not as heavy as they look. Some years ago we were excavating a wwII focke wulf aeroplane and you can use it as an axe! 2 and half inch roots by punching from above can be cut through easily and you can stress it hard.

- for coin shooting I like the drapers the best. The same undestroyable boron steel as fiskars and very light. I took off the rivet from the upper side and made it dissasembling by a wing-nut for the backpack trips.

- for the woods I use a modified short fiskars. I cut off the sides to made it narrow, but still long for shoveling enough ground.

I hope I helped. I know just these ones, and they are good.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:21 pm »
I'll always have to put in a very good word for my slightly cut down 'Bulldog Rabbiting Spade'. She has served me very very well over the years. I had a foot rest welded on one side to aid my boots from getting cut up. She's not stainless but that's never bothered us, a light oiling after going out and she looks a million dollars. ;)

I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:45 pm »
Thanks guys, I think it'll be the Burgen and Ball.  Regton owe me 10% off the carrot I bought and they said I can have it off the next purchased so I should get around a £12 discount  :)

All three look like good choices.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....