Author Topic: MARS Universal stem. First impressions and swing tests.  (Read 3401 times)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
Hi.  I have just received the Mars universal stem and spent a couple of hours trying it out, and here's the initial thoughts.

What you get.
Full stem. 
All the gromits for all the models it is designed for on a single rubber wheel, just twist off the ones for your make of coil/machine.
Fixing plate for the control boxes that require it.
Instructions for the fixing plate.
Arm cup strap

Machines for this stem
The uni stem accommodates a lot of machines but check carefully before you buy it.  If your machine has battery pods housed in the stock stem, or cables inside your stem, then this isn't likely to be an alternative for you.  It appears to be designed for models with a mounted control box and an outside wrap around cable to the coil.  In other words, machines that can take all detecting parts away from the stock stem.  As I stated, check first that it's right for your machine. Contact Mars if your not sure.

Assembly
For me personally, assembly was a doddle, 5 minutes without instructions, but I was fixing the Sorex Pro to the stem and I don't require the fixing plate.  Sorex and Berkut slide straight on. For other models there are some small screws with a fixing plate, and obviously this will need more time and care than it does for the AKA machines.  The instructions warn you that the modification to the underside of other control boxes is irreversible. Find some feedback if you want more info on this specific aspect.

Build quality.
Very well put together.  Solid.  This is a tough telescopic stem.  My initial thoughts are that this is a solid build and it is not flimsy in any way.  You really feel as though you are swinging a quality product. Mars have clearly thought about durability.  If you have broken your stem and need to replace it, (and if this stem is designed for your MD), then in my opinion I doubt this would disappoint.  The arm strap I received is only just big enough, I have small forearms, it needs to be longer.

Looks and design
Sleek, smart, with good ergonomics.  I love the feel of the grip, a chunky pistol style hand piece that is a joy to hold. Overall it feels and looks very nice.  Being telescopic, it may lose the black colour on the lower stem as it rubs over time, but from new, this thing looks and feels pretty darn cool.

Weight
As you would expect, it's not heavy, however, neither is my Sorex.  Sorex is pretty light. The main reason I bought it is due to a problem I have with my weak arms and joint problems.  On longer hunts the sorex causes a slight ache in the forearm.  The MARS stem won't solve this for me.  In fact it feels very slightly heavier than Sorex stem. There is more weight in the MARS at the grip end due to the chunky and solid pistol design.  I needed to extend the MARS longer than the Sorex stem to counter this, which helped a bit by giving better balance between grip area and coil.

Two things you must remember here, Sorex is pretty light, and I cannot tolerate much on my arms.  For many machines the MARS stem will be lighter, and for many of you, you won't have the problems that I have due to my manky arms.  So if your buying it to reduce weight, do more research than I did !  This was completely down to a bad assumption on my part, it's not a criticism of the stem.  Most of you will probably consider it acceptably light, but you should compare weights to what you already have if greater lightness is your goal.  In many cases it will probably help, but not for me.

(I apologise that I cannot state the weight)

Practical advantages
Being able to slide this stem down into a compact size will be something many will love.  You will need to consider how you fix the cable, perhaps a permanent tape close to the coil and more flexible options further up so you can reduce it down easily for transport and carrying from the parking spot etc.  You could argue that the same can be achieved with most tubular frames, but there is no doubt in my mind that the quick release snap locks make it easier, it's designed to be a slide down easy carry stem after all.     

Final verdict
Very well built, a stylish stem that will appeal to many.  If you don't use Sorex/Berkut then please research the modifications and consider if that's what you want to do with your control box. It doesn't appear to be a huge undertaking but I can't advise on something I haven't had to do. I understand that there has been good feedback from people who have bought one, and I can understand why. When you hold it, it feels solid and serious. In my opinion the hand grip is brilliant. And it looks superb too.

Hope that's helpful.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

oscar6972

Re: MARS Universal stem. First impressions and swing tests.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:59 pm »
Nice write up Keith, have you tried a Deus coil on it yet?

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 12:27 am »
Nice write up Keith, have you tried a Deus coil on it yet?

To be honest mate, no but I can't see the point unless you really need to conserve the pennies.  I am sure that you could make it work with Deus and I will have a go, but Deus stem is lighter overall, by a tad.  If you use a Deus I would say stick with Deus stems and pay the extra, but if you don't use Deus then this is a high quality alternative to tubes along very same lines as the Deus.

The leaflet does not state Deus as one of the machines to use with MARS uni coil.  XP machines with under arm control boxes are accommodated, basically all other models bar the Deus.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

samo381

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 06:31 am »
great review keith, was just looking at one of these for my sorex :)
steve.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 06:56 am »
A very good report. Thanks mate.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

nailman

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 08:23 am »
Nice review but why put a Deus on this shaft, the Deus is light one of its major selling points and the stem is erogonomically designed.
It's a bit like having a Ferrari and putting a Astra van body on it ( that would be a interesting and fun thought£
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

oscar6972

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:14 am »
Nice review but why put a Deus on this shaft, the Deus is light one of its major selling points and the stem is erogonomically designed.
It's a bit like having a Ferrari and putting a Astra van body on it ( that would be a interesting and fun thought£

I was just purely thinking of the cost. The MARS shaft is £50 cheaper than the XP one and I know some people have a full shaft for their spare coils. And if the XP shaft was to break then it's a cheaper alternative. I have a spare shaft as a couple of times when my dad came with me I have loaned him my 9" coil and ws4 module set up on a different shaft while I use the remote and 11" coil.

Nothing wrong with the Deus set up, but I know some people don't get on with it and have changed to different shafts. I've seen at least 2 lads who use an old Whites shaft with the 13" coil.

Peter

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:25 am »
An informative and in depth review. Great to see some ones taking the hobby seriously  .Well done Keith .