Author Topic: New pointer  (Read 11267 times)

nailman

New pointer
« on: July 04, 2016, 06:02 pm »
After ten years yes 10 years my Garrett pro pointer has finally given up, so time for a new pointer
I'am torn between  the Macro orPI Xpointer from Deteknix, has anyone got any one got any opinions on these models good points bad points.

I don't want another Garrett one person I know had two in a year and both played up, mine has been trouble free used a larger battery Vitara than the Duracell's which wobbled around inside.
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Devonlad

Re: New pointer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:49 pm »
I have had the Xpointer for four months and it is performing very well with no problems, although four months is not that long it does amount to sixty hours searching and on two occasions a good soaking which it came through even though it is not the submersible version. The only other observation would be that it is more draining on the battery.  But that is PI for you I guess.

Peter

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:57 pm »
Well I`m still unconvinced with my Nearly new Garrett Carrot ,that I`m going to Gel with it.  I`ve used it a few times since buying it new, and I have to say It hasn`t filled me with any convincing hope since using it.  Maybe I`m still hurting over the other past two lame duck ones I had ,and its knocked all the confidence out of me that this one is going to be any better. Only time will tell. If it doesn`t act as I think it should be ,it will be sacked !
What really get`s up my craw ,is that they cost a lot of money ,and when you spend that much on the damn things you expect the thing to work right  !

Mutt

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 08:42 pm »
I am on my Second GC and its working ok at the moment, but probably because I have not used it much since I bought a Nokta Pinpointer some months back and it is now the one I use most, very well made, great quality, waterproof, nice tip protectors, it is a bit different to use the controls but is imo a better pin pointer and all for £40 or so less, topped off with a 2 year warranty, whats not too like.

Devonlad

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:09 pm »
I am on my Second GC and its working ok at the moment, but probably because I have not used it much since I bought a Nokta Pinpointer some months back and it is now the one I use most, very well made, great quality, waterproof, nice tip protectors, it is a bit different to use the controls but is imo a better pin pointer and all for £40 or so less, topped off with a 2 year warranty, whats not too like.

I completely agree, I have the Nokta Pinpointer and found it to be everything you would want apart from the interference with my detector was awful, I tried everything to limit the noise and only bought the Xpointer when I could stand it no longer.

Willy muffit

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:22 pm »
After ten years yes 10 years my Garrett pro pointer has finally given up, so time for a new pointer
I'am torn between  the Macro orPI Xpointer from Deteknix, has anyone got any one got any opinions on these models good points bad points.

I don't want another Garrett one person I know had two in a year and both played up, mine has been trouble free used a larger battery Vitara than the Duracell's which wobbled around inside.

If you use a XP detector ?  then maybe worth hanging on until the new XP Probe comes out later this year ?
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

tig2

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:35 pm »
I found the x pointer has a poorly fitting end cap making it prone to stripping the screw thread. Gave mine away.

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 09:36 pm »
I know it's expensive but what about White's TRX?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 10:05 pm »
I found the x pointer has a poorly fitting end cap making it prone to stripping the screw thread. Gave mine away.

Early models used cheap plastics, new ones have a far better screw cap.  Just watched an in depth review from USA.  The guy phoned Deteknix and they admitted they had made initial mistakes and sent him a new improved one.  I have only had my carrot, after 5 months very happy but without comparisons.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Peter

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 10:43 pm »
I`ve had one similar to one of those but it was the Makro one (a sister company). I couldn`t get to like the on /off controls at the base of the probe. To my way of working you had to use it with two hands .One to hold the shaft ,while the other to activate the on or off button at the base .  I didn`t like that idea as when your in the field ,I like to grab the Probe with my right hand and press the on off button on the back of the length of the probe with the thumb of the same hand all in one movement . With the Makro one you had to use two hands but you need to hold the detector to,so It wasn`t to my liking ,so that went.

Lodge Scent

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 02:37 am »
I like my Makro in that it is actually waterproof and not just water resistant. But I am in agreement with Peter, the position of the buttons is a drawback.

nailman

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 11:18 am »
Cheers everybody looks like the Makro unless XP get a move on just waiting for V 4 to come out, so they might have got their act together before the Autumn
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Mutt

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 11:24 am »
Cheers everybody looks like the Makro unless XP get a move on just waiting for V 4 to come out, so they might have got their act together before the Autumn

I dont think it will be a cheap option.

Willy muffit

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 12:34 pm »
I have owned and used pinpointers from the early Wizard and Merlin days and I bought a PI Xpointer from Deteknix but I could not get on with it as it seemed to interfere with my detectors and got on my nerves so sold it on

IMHO  the Garrett is the daddy I have both the black and the Orange versions and I prefer using the Original Blacl version but if I were to go to a beach I would of course take the carrot
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

Mutt

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 01:16 pm »

I completely agree, I have the Nokta Pinpointer and found it to be everything you would want apart from the interference with my detector was awful, I tried everything to limit the noise and only bought the Xpointer when I could stand it no longer.

Interesting, I have heard of this but it doesnt interfere with any of my detectors at all, maybe a faulty one?? Who knows.