Author Topic: Granddaughters 1st Metal Detector  (Read 5110 times)

Paulroome

Granddaughters 1st Metal Detector
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:06 pm »
Hi. My granddaughter has requested her first metal detector for her 10th birthday. Any suggestions on which one to buy her? We don't want to buy her a rubbish one, in case it puts her off detecting for life, but don't want to spend loads in case she gives up easily. Thanks.
Delete Today at 12:01 PM

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
Re: Granddaughters 1st Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:56 pm »
I have seen some good reviews on the GC 1023.  pop onto U-Tube and watch "Simply Metal Detecting" and you can see how it performs against more serious looking machines.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:51 pm »
Garrett Ace 150, if she doesn't enjoy the hobby you will find it holds it's value well second-hand :)
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:34 pm »
I would also go for one of the Garrett Ace machines a 150 or 250 for the reason Boots suggested and there reliable and straigh forward to understand.
If you Contact Nigel from Regtons either through the forum or via there web site, I believe as a paid up member of the forum you can possibly get a 10% discount on a purchase.
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:03 pm »
Fair comments on the 150 but as she is only 10 the GC 1023 would be much easier to handle, and it seems to perform well.

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 06:27 pm »
The GC1023 performs well with after market coils so that is a hidden cost, the Garrett is easy to use and performs quite well out of the box for the price.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:15 pm »
The GC1023 performs well with after market coils so that is a hidden cost, the Garrett is easy to use and performs quite well out of the box for the price.

I watched a video where the GC 1023 separated targets better than a couple of far more expensive machines, very well regarded ones too, and it was with the stock coil.  Only going by what I saw but the guy has had 2 of them now and performance exceeds price.  Decent depth for a cheapy too. I'm just concerned that a 10 year old little girl would find an Ace 150 heavy and cumbersome which could take away the fun.

redkite

• Gold Membership
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:58 pm »
Got to go with the ace 150

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 09:05 pm »
Fair enough, I doff me cap to your wiser heads lads.

Peter

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:26 pm »
What nobody ever mentions about the Chinese GC1023 is that no one will touch them with a barge pole if they go wrong,and try getting your money back from who ever imports them.I can only conclude is give them a wide berth and stick to buying detectors from reputable dealers who will give you a guarantee to fall back on in case anything goes wrong ..
 A little Garrett Ace150   would be an Ideal starter for a 10 year old .

Recently Quoted  "  I'm just concerned that a 10 year old little girl would find an Ace 150 heavy and cumbersome "

Weight of Garrett 150 ...........1.2 kilo.
Weight of GC1023 ................2.0 kilo.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 11:51 pm »
What nobody ever mentions about the Chinese GC1023 is that no one will touch them with a barge pole if they go wrong,and try getting your money back from who ever imports them.I can only conclude is give them a wide berth and stick to buying detectors from reputable dealers who will give you a guarantee to fall back on in case anything goes wrong ..

Recently Quoted  "  I'm just concerned that a 10 year old little girl would find an Ace 150 heavy and cumbersome "

I had already doffed my cap Peter but I will do it once more.  After sales service is indeed very important and despite how it looks I had no idea the GC 1023 was so heavy. Excellent comments mate.

botto

• Gold members
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 06:51 am »
Tesoro compadre, well made, nice and light plus simple to set up.
Some good vids on youtube and are rated highly.
Get a new one for 189 quid and a choice of coil size 5.75,7 or 8". Only thing is the coils are hardwired so your stuck with the coil you order.

Cheers,
Gav.

Peter

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 08:27 am »

I had already doffed my cap Peter but I will do it once more.  After sales service is indeed very important and despite how it looks I had no idea the GC 1023 was so heavy. Excellent comments mate.

Far from trying to humiliate you Keith which would never be my intention , I would take some of what you see on the youtube with a pinch of salt, as what many people don`t realise is about the Youtube that a large proportion of video`s are done by people that have little experience about what they are  actually filming ,and often use bull$hit and blag in with their videos, but I`m also aware knowing who truly knows what their talking about and sifting them out, can sometimes present a problem to some  .
Doing flat board nail and coin demonstrations are one thing, but detecting in the real world out in the field is another as far as results are concerned.The person you saw doing the GC1023 videos, IF ,its who I think it is , is one such person and continually portrays himself as knowledgeable when in fact is an out & out blagger, especially when he says he gets coins at 18" with his GC1023.
For starters ,having a fast recovery speed will lean towards  less depth ability ,unless you have the ability on the detector to then change the settings to enable other settings , to put it in a slower recovery speed ,and then that will help attain enabling more depth detection. 
When a coin goes deeper and deeper past ,shall we say for arguments sake ,10 ", the signal also depreciates weaker and weaker the deeper down it falls,so the smaller the coin, the less likelihood you are to detect that coin .This is one of the reasons why most coins are only found within the first 10" and after that it is often assumed the coins have run dry,but that may not always be the case. It could be  just the smaller DEEPER coins are often being missed because of ......
1) the detector cannot detect them,
2) the settings are not correct to enable detection,
3) the detectorist is sweeping much too fast,
4) the detectorist misses ,or doesn`ty recognise its a diggable signal.
 So it would more or less have to be a largish coin, and lying pretty much horizontal ,to be detected at depths past 10" to have any chance of a possibility of hitting it, and even then you would have had to be sweeping at a very slow sweep speed to hear and recognise it.
So beware of some of the You Tube Blaggers as they actually can instruct  people wrongly.
 If we observe carefully ,we can see by the quality of the instructional content and, often your own in built gut feeling,you can see the people who are genuine and who are the blaggers.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 11:41 am »
Humiliation never even entered my mind Peter, you made a good point and fair point on the weight.

I chat to this person on another forum, he's had dozens of machines over many years detecting.  He was really only making the videos off the back of forum discussions around the differences in concentric and DD coils, and his desire for a concentric version for the Sorex Pro.  I don't think there's any blagging going on and the demonstrations do give some informative results.

nailman

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 08:51 pm »
Tesoro compadre, well made, nice and light plus simple to set up.
Some good vids on youtube and are rated highly.
Get a new one for 189 quid and a choice of coil size 5.75,7 or 8". Only thing is the coils are hardwired so your stuck with the coil you order.

Cheers,
Gav.

As above or the Laser Scout both beep and dig well made you can swap coils on the Scour
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered